Dear <<First Name>>
News from JNTO Sydney
Skyliner - The Fastest Way to Downtown Tokyo
Welcome to the December issue of Japan Agent Update, bringing our trade partners the latest news from Japan National Tourism Organization (JNTO) Sydney Office.
In this issue:
News from Japan
As some of you are aware, there are various ways to get from Narita Airport to Tokyo, including Japan Rail (JR) and bus. "Skyliner", operated by Keisei Electric Railway is a popular high-speed express train that is fast, comfortable and convenient. Skyliner can transport your passengers from Narita to downtown Tokyo (Nippori Station) in just 36 mins and to Ueno Station in 41 mins. Keisei Nippori Station is adjacent to JR Nippori Station on the Yamanote Loop Line, so passengers can transfer smoothly to JR stations like Shinjuku or Ikebukuro.
The Skyliner's sophisticated and modern exterior was designed by world-famous designer Kansai Yamamoto. The interior features a high-ceiling and spacious, comfortable seats with 1,050mm seat pitch and 470mm width. Each seat has its own power-point so with a power adapter, overseas passengers can charge mobile phones and use laptop computers.
The benefit of taking the train over bus is that you won't have to worry about traffic conditions, so you can expect to arrive at your destination on schedule. Skyliner trains depart every 20-40 mins and fares are a reasonable 2,400 yen for adults, 1,200 for children. Tickets can be purchased from the manned Skyliner Ticket Counter or from ticket machines equipped with English menus. Transfer tickets to other stations like Shinjuku or Ikebukuro can be conveniently bought together in the same transaction.
Note: As Skyliner is operated by Keisei Electric Railway (a private railway), JR Pass users cannot use this service.
Read the full article
Narita Airport - Welcoming Muslim Travellers to Japan
Narita Airport has embarked on a drive to provide more services and an environment to better accommodate its Muslim customers who make up a large proportion of visitors from South East Asia. Some new services include:
1. Prayer Room Improvements
- Renaming of "Silence Rooms" to "Prayer Rooms". "Silence Rooms" for prayer and meditation are available before passport control in Terminals 1 & 2 (1 Dec 2013)
- Ablution areas for ritual washing before prayers (January 2014)
- New prayer rooms in the areas after passport control (by summer 2014)
2. Halal Food Services
Halal catering service in the rental lounges
- Near Bus Gate 28 on the 2nd floor of the Central Building in Terminal 1
- Near Bus Gate 70 on the 1st floor of the Main Building in Terminal 2
Customers using the rental lounges will be able to order Halal meals prepared at the international Halal in-flight catering kitchens.
Halal certified restaurants
- Reservations: Accepted from Sunday 1st Dec 2013 and service begins Friday 6th Dec 2013.
- Locations: There are 23 rental lounges at Narita Airport (11 in T1 and 12 in T2)
- Where to order: Rental Lounge Reservation Desk, T1, Central Building, 5th Floor (Inside Traveler's Lounge Rassurants) Ph: +81 476-32-2364/2375, Open 9am-6pm daily.
(available summer 2014)
Halal certified restaurants offering meals prepared in dedicated Halal kitchens will soon be available in passenger terminals.
3. Airport Staff Training on Serving Muslim Customers
Narita Airport staff will receive training to familairise them with Islamic rules and customs to deepen their knowledge and understanding of Muslim customer needs so that they may better offer services and hospitality tailored to the customers' requirements. (19 Dec 2013)
Read the official release here
ANA - Experience Japan Fare
The Experience Japan Fare offered by All Nippon Airways (ANA) allows passengers to travel anywhere in Japan for 10,500 yen (approx. AUD$117) per sector. This economical domestic fare is perfect for travellers wishing to visit many destinations in Japan over a short period of time. Flights must be purchased more than 3 days before departure and are only available online at ANA Sky Web, subject to availability. Read the full fare rules here
To be eligible, passengers must:
Visit official site
- Reside outside of Japan
- Hold a passport from a country other than Japan, or be a Japanese with overseas permanent residency
- Hold an international plane ticket to/from Japan
* A limited number of ANA - Experience Japan Fare brochures are available. Please contact us with your desired quantity if you are interested.
A Different Way to see Japan with Princess Cruises
Surrounded by the Pacific Ocean, Sea of Japan and East China Sea, Japan offers breathtaking opportunities to see the nation by sea. Princess Cruises offers over 10 unique voyages covering over 15 unique ports, with full circumnavigations of the country, scenic cruising of Hokkaido, and more. With voyages covering 8 to 27 nights, your clients can visit a diverse range of ports that encompass the Japanese experience, including Shiretoko Peninsula, Kanazawa, Nagasaki and more. Princess offers two unique ships in the region, Sun Princess and Diamond Princess, with delightful Japanese touches including a sushi bar and Japanese baths and spa treatments (coming to Diamond Princess in April 2014). Princess Cruises gives your clients the only way to escape completely in Japan.
Take a look at a selection of some our voyages to learn more:
9-night Ancient Capitals aboard Diamond Princess, starting at $1,929 per person twin share
9-night Kyushu & Onsens aboard Diamond Princess, starting at $1,869 per person twin share
7-night Round Hokkaido aboard Sun Princess, starting at $1,179 per person twin share
For more information, visit our dedicated Japan information page here
Japan Expo and Matsuri in Sydney 2013
Japan Expo and Matsuri in Sydney is back at Tumbalong Park, Darling Harbour on Saturday 14th December, 10am-7pm. Japan Expo and Matsuri in Sydney is Australia’s largest community event celebrating Japanese culture and is held annually. The 2012 event had 16,000 visitors and this year’s is set to be bigger and better than ever!
Japan Expo and Matsuri in Sydney 2012
Japan National Tourism Organization (JNTO) and a select group of Japan travel specialists will be exhibiting at Japan Expo as part of the Japan Information Desk, providing free tourist information on travel to Japan. Please come by and say "hello"!
Exhibition & Food Stalls
- Japanese food stalls and beer garden
- Japan Information & Tokyo Information
- Origami, kendama and calligraphy workshops
- Tokyo Foodies Talk
- The Art of Sashimi
- Tokyo Kawaii Makeover
- Anime Cosplay Contest
- Yukata Beauty & Hunky Contest
Visit official site
JNTO Office Christmas/New Year Shutdown
- Dance Yosakoi Soran / Bon Odori / Hip Hop
- Live Demos Karate & Sumo / Calligraphy
- Music Japanese Drums, Okinawan Sanshin & Imperial Court Music
Our office will close from 23rd December 2012 - 3rd January 2014.
Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from JNTO Sydney Office.
Japan National Tourism Organization (JNTO) Sydney Office