JR West Online Train Reservations to launch
Partners Information: West Japan Railway Company (JR West) will launch a service allowing overseas tourists to purchase JR Tickets online before their arrival, including tickets that are only available to overseas visitors.
After arriving in Japan, customers can pick up their tickets at locations such as the Midori ticket machines.
Service launch date
Scheduled for March 2019
*Special tickets available only for overseas visitors such as JR-West Rail Pass etc. scheduled for May 2019
Shinkansen services: Hokuriku Shinkansen, Tokaido-Sanyo Shinkansen, Kyushu Shinkansen, Joetsu Shinkansen, Tohoku Shinkansen (selected sections only)
Limited Express services: Conventional limited express services on the JR-West, JR-Shikoku, JR-Kyushu, JR-Tokai and parts of the JR-East area
English, Chinese (Simplified and Traditional) and Korean
- Standard tickets (reserved and non-reserved seats) in the above areas
- Special tickets for overseas tourists (JR-West tickets such as JR-West Rail Pass, ICOCA&Haruka, Osaka-Tokyo Hokuriku Arch Pass, etc.)
Payment must be made by credit card at time of reservation.
- Midori ticket machines and Midori-no-madoguchi ticket offices with the “5489 Service” symbol in the JR-West, JR-Shikoku and JR-Kyushu areas
- Reserved ticket machines and ticket offices with the “5489 Service” symbol in the JR-Tokai area. JR-Tokai will accept reservations for tickets in areas such as the JR-Tokai area from April 2019. Online reservations for these areas will become available on the JR-West’s e5489 service at the same time.
- JR East Travel Service Center (Tokyo Station, Shinjuku Station, Ikebukuro Station, Shibuya Station, Ueno Station, Hamamatsucho Station, Haneda Airport International Terminal Station (Tokyo Monorail), Narita Airport Terminal 1 Station and Narita Airport Terminal 2)
Note 1: If collecting a special ticket for overseas tourists from a Midori ticket machine, these can only be collected from machines with JR-West passport readers. Some tickets, such as ICOCA&Haruka can only be collected from Midori-no-madoguchi ticket offices.
Note 2: Other restrictions apply regarding ticket collection and usage due to the conditions of the tickets and reservation areas.
Further details will be announced on the JR-West website as soon as they are available.